Planned Giving: a Gift to Protect Our Golden Friends
If you are reading this, chances are that you already understand the impact that our mission of rescue and adoption has on Golden lives and families. Estate or planned gifts to Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue are excellent opportunities to create a legacy ensuring that more Golden lives are saved. You can also provide for the care of your pets in your estate plan – an important consideration for all of us.
Planned giving is an option for donors of all incomes and may allow you to make a larger gift in the future than you otherwise could from current assets. A planned gift can also help you reduce capital gains or estate taxes on your heirs.
Examples of estate and planned giving instruments include wills and living trusts, life insurance or retirement beneficiary designations or gifts of appreciated stock. There are many options from which to choose. We always recommend that you speak with your accountant or financial advisor to determine the most beneficial means of giving for you and your family.
Naming us in your will or trust, for example, is one of the easiest ways to ensure that future generations of Goldens in need will find a second chance at life.
Thank you for considering including Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue in your planned giving. Gifts of $10,000 or more will be remembered with a plaque on our Memorial Garden Wall. For any gift, please ensure the following information is included in your documentation:
Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary, Inc.
7495 Natomas Road, Elverta, CA 95626
Tax ID#: 68-0442702
Confused about your options? Click here for our detailed Guide to Giving to help you determine the right gift providing current or future benefits – to yourself, your heirs, and to the Goldens in our care.
Gifts that cost nothing today and can be altered or revoked if your plans change:
- Charitable Bequest: Through your Will or by beneficiary designation. A bequest is one of the simplest ways to give and can be changed should you want or need to do so. Designate a specific asset, a specific sum of money, a percentage of your estate, or what remains of your estate after you’ve provided for all other heirs. Gifts can take the form of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or any type of asset. The bequest lets you pass on your gift to Homeward Bound free of tax.
- Life Insurance: A gift of life insurance to Homeward Bound can be a way to make a significant donation even though you may not be a wealthy person. If you have existing policies for which you no longer need the coverage, consider assigning ownership to Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue. By naming Homeward Bound as both owner and beneficiary, you get a tax deduction while making a generous gift at low cost. You may take an immediate tax deduction for the cost basis or surrender value, whichever is less.
- Revocable Gift in a Living Trust: A living trust is often a good supplement to a will for those who wish to avoid the time and expense of probate while ensuring that your assets are passed on the way you wish. In your living trust, you name Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue as the beneficiary of your assets while keeping control of your trust during your lifetime.
Gifts that reduce current taxes:
- Outright Gifts or Planned Gifts. Both outright gifts and planned gifts can reduce current income tax. Options include gifts of cash, securities or some tangible and real property. A gift of appreciated stock is simple and maximizes your tax benefits.
Gifts that reduce future taxes to your heirs:
- Retirement Plan Gift. Your IRA, 401(k), 403(b) or other qualified retirement plan may be heavily taxed if left to anyone other than a legally recognized spouse. By naming Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue as a beneficiary of all or a portion of a retirement plan assets, you avoid both the estate tax and income tax due on these tax-deferred plans if you distribute them to your heirs. Please read more about this efficient means of giving in our Guide To Giving.
A sound estate plan, which includes a planned giving provision, can provide income as well as tax advantages and assure a more secure future for yourself and your heirs while supporting your passion for our mission: rescue.
Pet Guardianship: Securing Your Pet’s Future
Planning for your pet’s future is something that every responsible pet owner should consider. Securing your Golden’s future by entrusting its care to Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue at your death brings peace of mind. Click here for more information.